Tag Archive: MCE


Kicking back for a week at Center Parcs. Came fully prepared with Raspberry Pi & 2TB Portable Hard Drive fully loaded but forgot the damn remote! My HTC One has an IR remote built in, but the Microsoft MCE remote isn’t listed. Every result googled turned up was an XBMC or Media Center remote which only works over the network/LAN.

Eventually, after trying a dozen or so IR apps with no luck, we found ZappIR.

zappir

After trying a few combinations- Console/Media Manager -> Microsoft -> Media Manager MCE Media Center Code Group 2- Bingo!

Now back to kicking back! Nice little hot tub, steam room and sauna in the back garden!

11042999_10155192464790567_1824434695954957278_n

Raspberry Pi #1 – RaspBMC

I’ve been very quiet (that means work has been very busy!) but some waiting is starting to draw to a close:

-Fibre has finally been installed in my local exchange and cabinet and should be installed at my house June 6th!
-My first RaspberryPi has arrived:

My Acer Revo R3610 running XBMC has been playing up lately and pulling far too much juice (30 Watts+ if I remember correctly) so I thought that could be the destiny of my first Raspi.

Sam over @ http://www.raspbmc.com/ has been working on a dedicated linux distribution RaspBMC- so I thought I’d give the beta a whirl.

The installer image was downloaded in no time at all and writing to my Sandisk 16GB class 10 SDHC card:

Unfortunately when trying to boot the device just sits repeating mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt:

I found information suggesting this would be fixed in the release but I’m far too impatient to wait so thought I’d try a workaround found http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=184

By overwriting the kernel.img and start.elf with those from https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/master/boot the installer was able to boot and the install process complete. Unfortunately then when the device tries to boot it, once again, gets stuck mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt.

I decided to try another SD card, this time a Verbatim 16GB class 6. This time the installer fired straight up without needing patching but after completing I was faced with a login prompt and no XBMC GUI. I re-imaged the SD card and re-ran the installation. Third time lucky! XBMC appears, as if by magic :)

I was quickly able to mount my Samba (SMB / CIFS) network media share and start setting up my library:

Playback seems pretty good, although I currently have it connected to my Onkyo amp so it doesn’t need to decode audio. I understand it struggles a little if connected directly to a TV which requires audio to be down mixed.

I’ve yet to get my MCE remote working but XBMoteC works perfectly from my iPhone.

*EDIT* At one point after rebooting RaspBMC i got an error in /etc/rc.local: ./getfile.sh: not found. Fortunately i was able to fix this by SSHing into the device, and:

cd /scripts/upd_sys
sudo wget http://svn.stmlabs.com/svn/raspbmc/testing/update-system/getfile.sh 
sudo chmod +x getfile.sh
reboot now

Next stop- a little overclocking :)

Now just to wait for my 2nd Raspberry Pi so I can’t start hacking the thing to hopefully get my home automation project back on track!

L

%d bloggers like this: