I’ve been very quiet (that means work has been very busy!) but some waiting is starting to draw to a close:
-Fibre has finally been installed in my local exchange and cabinet and should be installed at my house June 6th!
-My first RaspberryPi has arrived:
My Acer Revo R3610 running XBMC has been playing up lately and pulling far too much juice (30 Watts+ if I remember correctly) so I thought that could be the destiny of my first Raspi.
Sam over @ http://www.raspbmc.com/ has been working on a dedicated linux distribution RaspBMC- so I thought I’d give the beta a whirl.
The installer image was downloaded in no time at all and writing to my Sandisk 16GB class 10 SDHC card:
Unfortunately when trying to boot the device just sits repeating mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt:
I found information suggesting this would be fixed in the release but I’m far too impatient to wait so thought I’d try a workaround found http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=184
By overwriting the kernel.img and start.elf with those from https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/master/boot the installer was able to boot and the install process complete. Unfortunately then when the device tries to boot it, once again, gets stuck mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt.
I decided to try another SD card, this time a Verbatim 16GB class 6. This time the installer fired straight up without needing patching but after completing I was faced with a login prompt and no XBMC GUI. I re-imaged the SD card and re-ran the installation. Third time lucky! XBMC appears, as if by magic :)
I was quickly able to mount my Samba (SMB / CIFS) network media share and start setting up my library:
Playback seems pretty good, although I currently have it connected to my Onkyo amp so it doesn’t need to decode audio. I understand it struggles a little if connected directly to a TV which requires audio to be down mixed.
I’ve yet to get my MCE remote working but XBMoteC works perfectly from my iPhone.
*EDIT* At one point after rebooting RaspBMC i got an error in /etc/rc.local: ./getfile.sh: not found. Fortunately i was able to fix this by SSHing into the device, and:
cd /scripts/upd_sys sudo wget http://svn.stmlabs.com/svn/raspbmc/testing/update-system/getfile.sh sudo chmod +x getfile.sh reboot now
Next stop- a little overclocking :)
Now just to wait for my 2nd Raspberry Pi so I can’t start hacking the thing to hopefully get my home automation project back on track!