In the past I’ve been a bit blasé with security- where something doesn’t work I would just add myself to the local administrator group and voila! Now I’m trying to better my habits and, when something doesn’t work, find out exactly what needs to happen to get it working. Today I was trying to publish some reports to a brand new deployment of SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) 2008 R2.

When first accessing the report server from a web browser, unsurprisingly I got a permissions error:

User ‘domainusername’ does not have required permissions. Verify that sufficient permissions have been granted and Windows User Account Control (UAC) restrictions have been addressed.

So I jumped onto the report server as an administrator and from the Site Settings area assigned the System Administrator to my account:

Still the same error:

This time I tried defining security at the root node (home) folder:

And now- everything works:

Following on from my previous blog entry about SSRS permissions- I now wanted to connect to Reporting Services from SQL Server Management Studio:

Connect to Server -> Cannot connect to serverinstance -> Additional Information: A connection to the computer cannot be established. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.RSClient) -> Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED)) (mscorlib)

This was resolved by adding my account to the Distributed COM Users:

Now the connection is successful from Management Studio:

Although I was expecting to see folders, reports, data sources, datasets etc:

But I’ll save that for another time!

L

Advertisements